Biology A level is a 2 year course
• 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C/9 – 5 required
• Grade B/6 or above in Maths
• Grade B/5 and above in English Language
• Grade B/5 in all three Single Sciences or
• Grades BB/66 in Synergy or Trilogy combined Science
Assessment of A Level :
A two week induction will take place at the start of the course with an access assessment taken by all students enrolled onto the course. Students are expected to pass the assessment to progress onto the A Level course.
There are twelve compulsory practicals which are assessed but not examined.
• 1 Biological molecules
• 2 Cells
• 3 Organisms exchange substances with their environment
• 4 Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
• 5 Energy transfers in and between organisms (A-level only)
• 6 Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments (A-level only)
• 7 Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems (A-level only)
• 8 The control of gene expression (A-level only)
• Paper 1 units 1 - 4 2 hour exam 35 % total
• Paper 2 units 5 - 8 2 hour exam 35% total
• Paper 3 units 1 – 8 including practical 2 hour exam 30% total.
You may go on to study degree courses such as Biology, Medicine, Physiotherapy or courses in other subject areas. You could also enter into health related careers such as nursing, or a career using your scientific background such as laboratory work and teaching.