Download PDF here
Physics A level is a two year course
Standard Entry Requirements
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C/9 – 5 required
- Grade B/6 or above in Maths
- Grade C/5 and above in English Language
- Grade BBC/665 in all three Single Sciences with a B/6 in Physics or
- Grades BB/66 in Synergy or Trilogy combined Science
Assessment of Course:
A two week induction will take place at the start of the course with an access assessment taken by all students enrolled onto the course. Throughout the year students will be assessed regularly where they will be expected to show sufficient progress.
Component 01 assesses content from modules 1, 2, 3 and 5.
- Module 1 - Development of practical skills in physics
- Module 2 - Foundations of physics
- Module 3 – Forces and motion
- Module 4 – Electrons, waves and photons
- Module 5 – Newtonian world and astrophysics
- Module 6 – Particles and medical physics
Component 02 assesses content from modules 1, 2, 4 and 6.
Component 03 assesses content from all modules (1 to 6).
Modelling physics (01) 2 hours 15 mins 37% of total
Exploring physics (02) 2 hours 15 mins 37 % of total
Unified physics (03) 1 hour 30 mins 26% of total
Practical endorsement in physics (04) (non-exam component)
The course provides a sound basis for further study and opens up a wide range of career opportunities including Engineering, Geophysics, Medical Physics, Meteorology, Electronics, Optometry, Scientific Journalism and Teaching.
The course offers opportunities for students to take part in activities that take place at the National Space Centre and collaborative work with local universities, (DMU and University of Leicester)