We have a diverse programme of Arts and Sports Enrichment which any student can be involved in outside timetabled lessons. In the Arts there are opportunities to join in Dance groups, Drama & Improvisation Group, Film Club, Creative Writers, Book Club, Student Arts Council, Arts Magazine publication, Film Showcase, Talent & Fashion Shows, plus you can use the facilities to rehearse your own band/dance groups or even create your own arts based activity.
In Sport there are opportunities to play a variety of sports competitively or for pleasure, gain coaching badges and meet a variety of professional sports persons or develop your skills in a new sport or activity utilising the sports facilities on site.
New sporting opportunities are constantly being made available to our students and 2012-2013 sees further success of our Centre of Sporting Excellence in Basketball. Two of our Basketball students have represented England in the Under 18 Squad.
Additional Learning & Enrichment Opportunities
- Taster courses at local universities
- Educational exchanges with students in colleges in Europe and the USA: Comenius project
- Field trips to Europe and the USA to enhance practical study in a range of subjects: in 2011 Geography students visited New York for project assignments and Art students visited Paris for research for a final project. Law and Government & Politics Students went to Washington DC to research the US Legal System.
- Study conferences and revision courses in London, Birmingham, Oxford and elsewhere
- Visits to exhibitions, museums, theatres and local places of interest
- Space Olympics event in Moscow: science students compete in international competition
- Work experience
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (Bronze and Silver)
- Bar Mock Trial
- Student Governors, Peer Mentoring, and Student Ambassadors
- National prize winners in Basketball and Football
- Leicestershire Sixth Form Colleges Football League Champions – Football Squad
- East Midlands British Colleges League Winners – Basketball Squad
- British Colleges Basketball Knock-out Cup Winners – Basketball Squad
- Leicestershire Basketball County League Champions – Basketball Squad
- Leicestershire Basketball Play-off Winners – Basketball Squad
- Dragon’s Den competition
- Annual Open Art exhibition and end of year Diploma show – a chance for all Art & Design students to demonstrate and display their work to the public
- Fashion Show: annual event run by the Art & Design faculty, models recruited from across the College, interval entertainment provided by students – dancers, musicians, performers
- A wide variety of sports activities including football, cricket, basketball, badminton, netball, volleyball, tag rugby, table tennis and self defence
- Arts & Performance activities: dance, drama, musicology, theatre, talent competition
- Charity events supported by students – Children in Need, Comic Relief and Sport Relief
- Peer Mentoring, Volunteering and “Right to Read” scheme
- ABC – Anti Bullying Committee
- There are places for two student representatives on the College’s Board of Governors and they also attend the Student Affairs sub-committee.
- Each year students are elected by their peers to represent their faculty and serve on the ‘Faculty Voice’. It is from the Faculty Voice that the Student Council is elected. Together they are responsible for organising parties, outings and fund-raising events and for looking after the leisure facilities.
- Membership of the National Union of Students (NUS) is available to all Gateway students.